Friday, June 02, 2006

Travelling Riverside Blues

So, that's it. Another bittersweet farewell to the city I love. Another fond goodbye to the streets and the people that sustain me...my lifeline. It seems strange that I've spent three weeks here. It seems only yesterday that My plane touched down jarringly and my ears got blocked...my father and sister coming to the airport to pick me up. Days spent...just spent...flying by me, falling through my hands and becoming memory...dunno when I'll be back again. This time I returned after about 13 months of work and sleep, sleep and work. Its difficult when your primar relationship with a city is work. It defines both you and the city. I have a support system there, but it takes time for them to grow, to deepen into something more meaningful.
Cal's changed a lot in the past year...flyovers, highrises, malls (eek!)...but hasn't changed that much either. Spent days just walking around all the old haunts in South Cal- JU, Jodhpur Park, Lake Gardens, Gariahat, Dover Lane, the lakes, Park Street, Oly pub...couldn't visit everywhere and have all the conversations with people that I wanted to, but then, what did I expect? So here's to Cal, the city by the river...
And now Delhi...my house in CR Park, the cats and the rest. Khan Market bookshops and Lodhi Gardens at dusk and Humayun's Tomb in the winter. Friends of various shapes and sizes...hah!
Oh well, here I go. Watch me fly.
p.s. All readers please please leave your comments. I've set it up so that anyone can. A blog's kinda like a strip show, some parts forever being in the shadows...and there's no fun stripping if there's no one watching

There are places I remember, all my life
Though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone, and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Though I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I loved them all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.. i know something about leaving a place.... its a strange feeling... something i can't quite get used to...

Anonymous said...

Aha! We are stip-showing again! Some things never change. Have I also cleverly discovered a 'Pond-dini' joke you tried to sneakily include? ;) Here's to good times at JU! *clinks all around and a big gulp of rum* Nice to see you Beq, even if its on a virtual strip-show! :P

Anonymous said...

PS: Damn... I meant strip show not stip! :P
And I am NOT drunk!

Sue said...

You twerp! You've copied my template! I'll go read your stuff now. If there's any further plagiarism...

Sue said...

Oh oh oh Nana's NOT drunk. Again :-D

Beq said...

Oh yeah,
But I'm drunk, at least hungover. Its good to see you Nan, if only with you proclaiming you're NOT drunk. Welcome to Roma Koma, Nan'n'Sue...

Beq said...

You're right about the Ponddini...hehehe. Good work

Anonymous said...

hmmm... sigh!