Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Forever in my cups

Thought I'd bring the World Cup to this blog as well. Goes without saying, I'm quite overjoyed that its begun at long last. BUT, since I don't have a tv at home, I get to watch only a few matches...when friends who do have television are a) home and b)willing to share the space. Most of the times, they either want to be left alone with their partners or with themselves....but no matter. Felt terrible watching Zinedine Zidane and Co labour in their match against the Swiss. Despite their failings, they are one of the teams that I really like watching and the stifling nature of yesterday's game really galls. No wide play at all. Both the teams trying to bungle their way through the middle. It almost made the England-Paraguay match look as if it was oozing flair. But at least its better than losing to Senegal in 2002.
I remember that first match four years ago. I was pretty certain Les Bleus would win, but I had to miss most of the match as I had to go buy myself contact lenses...which never suited me...but that's another story.
I haven't seen Italy play, and despite Germany's 4-2 victory, I don't think they're gonna be able to do much. But then, them Germans are an obstinate lot. Of the other teams, I was quite pleased with the way Argentina played, as did Holland. But I really wish that England play better. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing all these fantastic players playing like morons as soon as they start playing for their national teams. I mean, where was Steven Gerrard? He's one of my favourite midfielders, and he was nowhere to be seen at the business end of the play...only now and then he would be charging around trying to be a defensive midfielder. And the less said about Sven Goran Eriksson, the better. England need a coach like either Rafa Benitez or, perversely enough, Jose Mourinho. Stev McLaren?? Oh No!!!

No comments: