Sunday, December 17, 2006

Weekly Cal Review

This evening I complete a week in Cal! A week?! I mean, it seems just yesterday that I was forced into chatting with my co-passengers in Poorva just becasue I had run out of ways to be bored...yes the train was 3 hours late! Anyways, I'm less stunned with Cal this time around than May. Probably because it hasn't been able to come out with anything newly shocking in the past 6 months or so! But the occassional thig still throws me, like the Dhakuria overhead pedestrian passage. I still gwap at it. It just so doesn't belong there (not that anyone much uses it!) I mean, half the fun of crossing is to be blithely unconcerned about which mad cabbie or bus might be hurtling at you from where! Oh well. But among older haunts, I was saddened by the fact that the road from Jadavpur PS to JU hasn't changed a bit. The pavements seem like out of some post-holocaust movie, never mind the garbage.
One good fun thing that I did see was this dog show I went for yesterday. My first ever, I'm proud to say, and good fun. The first thing that strikes you are the variety of barks coming from everywhere. Despite the variety, they are all predominately friendly yelps - or, in the case of lost daschunds or spoilt labrador pups- yelps for love and affection from errant owners. Even the poor Dobermanns were primarily curious, not ravenously baying for blood as popular myth would have them be. But who can blame you for having a temper, if you spend hte best part of a lazy Saturday morning, trotting round and round in circles, and having your teeth looked at by crummy old men? I even saw a carefree dobermann. Yes, such things DO exist! This one was a blithe spirit with floppy ears who just wanted to have fun, not run around as if he were a conscript at some elite army barracks. As a result, he never looked straight, couldn't straighten his ears, didn't look ferocious, tried to run at the judge when he was supposed to be trotting around him like a shetland pony, and understandably, didn't win anything! Bu he did have fun I'm sure, more so than the other losers who won beer mugs(??) as prizes.
So that's been the sum toal of my life so far, apart from Suhrid's lil daughter Shreya, and a classic Bengal bandh!

No comments: