Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Of Fruitcakes and Seven Percent Solutions

You can't have the Christmas holiday season without the flavour of fruitcakes from New Market and brownies from Nahoum's. In fact I'm already salivating at the prospect. Ah, to see the shops on Park Street and in New Market drowning under a deluge of Christmas trees and stick candies, and Santas of all shapes and sizes. Ah. Totally missed the feeling last year in Delhi, doing a night shift...Christmas isn't as important to people over there still recovering from the rigours of Diwali partying. I can't say how much I'm looking forward to this.
On another note, History Channel is showing Sherlock Holmes with the incomparable Jeremy Brett in the title role! Ah, the joy of hearing the violins giving me the willies and the hansom cabs and the gaslight....I was a tiny little kid when they used to show the series on Doordarshan in the 80's. But, along with the title track, some images were forever ingrained in my soul. For example, the snake sliding down in the Speckled Band, or Holmes and Moriarty tumbling off the cliff at Reichenback Falls, or the wax models showing up against the glass windows in The Empty House? But I guess my favourite is the Sign Of Four. Who can forget that chase on the Thames? Or the jarwa pigmy with the poisonous arrows? Or the cocaine? What joy. Come to think of it, I've forgotten a lot of the episodes, and frankly, the series couldn't have come at a better time. What better way to be of good cheer?

No comments: