Thursday, September 14, 2006

Net Wonders

To someone who doesn't really investigate the internet beyond the usual avenues- read me- sudden discoveries are the toast of life. Temporary residence at me friend Sathe's house and the lack of anything to do, has engendered the copious use- and abuse- of the internet. So when I'm not downloading songs like a madman (the entire new Bob Dylan album and Paul McCartney's latest for example), I keep stumbling across things which warm the cockles of my heart. The greatest joy has been afforded by my chance discovery of www.youtube.com. Like most things, its discover came by way of Wikipedia. A couple of days ago, while reading up on Kula Shaker, I came across a link to YouTube for some live appearance of the band or the other. Imagine my joy at finding a site where you can watch music videos, ads, live performances, blah blah blah.
So I watched a few George Harriso vids. Then some Beatles. Then Stones, Byrds, Who, Kinks, Kylie Minogue 'Agent Provocateur' lingerie ads. Ah the joy. I even signed up and downloaded videos and made a playlist and uploaded them.
Now I'm investigating the newly-launched Google video. Same concept, just more streamlined and corporatised. For this same reason, the quality of the videos are better...but the content is nowhere near as mindblowing as YouTube. Where else would you find, 15 different videos of The Who performing "My Generation", from 1965 to 2006! Or the Stones's 1967 Ed Sullivan show performance where they had to change the lyric of "Let's Spend The Night Together" to "Let's Spend Some Time Together". Or the studio film of the Beatles miming to "Rain" for Top Of The Pops? Fragulous I say. I'm smitten. I even have my own playlist called The Velvet Rope on the site!!!
A minor aside. Those interested in the urban myth of Paul McCartney dying in 1966 in a motorcycle crash, check out the fab Wikipedia write-up on the subject. Entire books have been written on the subject, one as recently as last year. Its too vast to explain in a paragraph. You'll find the article here
Once you've done that, check out this link. It'll lead to really fab download. A cultural artefact I daresay, in which the Dark Knight meets the Fab Four.

1 comment:

Harman said...

hehee what a joy to read someone's youtube discovery! i discovered it at work.. imagine my joy..a way to getaway!