Thursday, June 10, 2010

Songs about the Rain

This morning I was casting about for something silly to blog about, when Harman suggested that I do one on rain songs. I know, we're all burning right now, but it pays to be ready right? So here goes my highly subjective list. Not all these songs love the rain, but no matter.
The Beatles- Rain
It had to be the first on my list. The song's about acid, of course, but it's got one of the deadliest deadpan putdown of people averse of getting wet in the rain (or baked in the sun, for that matter). 
Bob Dylan- High Water (For Charlie Patton)
I remember listening to this song after watching footage of Katrina- and the annual cyclones that wreck the Gangetic Delta, and being chilled to the bone by Dylan's gravelly voice gravely declaiming "There's nothing standing here, high water everywhere."
Memphis Minnie- When the Levee Breaks
Most people have just heard the Led Zep version, but this is the Real McCoy, genuinely scary, partly because of the inevitability of the plain yet terrifying opening line, "If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break." And we all know what that means of course.
Jimi Hendrix- Wind Cries Mary
Okay, he might have more specific rain songs, but this one for me captures the atmosphere of imminent rainfall just right, from the buoyant guitar to the changing breeze which quickens and slackens.
Doc Watson- Deep River Blues
I love the metaphor of the rain disguising the tears of a broken heart; its an intensely compelling image. The Doc's voice lives the heartbreak.
Muddy Waters- Blow Wind Blow
Its a force of nature, is Muddy's voice. Its all thunderous desire.
The Prisonaires- Just Walking In the Rain
Another lonely heart in the rain, but what a pretty song.
Sister Rosetta Tharpe- Didn't It Rain?
This song always reminds me of the days I spent in my balcony in Calcutta as a kid loving the continuous rain and hating it too, as I couldn't go out.
Moby Grape- Sitting by the Window
Another song that builds an intimate atmosphere and then builds on it some more, and finally tops it with a beautiful, blink and you miss it solo.
CCR- Have you ever seen the Rain?
Predictable, yes, but its also the song that I love shouting out when I'm getting drenched.

p.s. If you're done being happy, please vent your righteous indignation at this great post here.

IndiBlogger - The Indian Blogger Community

16 comments:

Harman said...

Thank you! Oh the original of 'levee breaks', is scary..haven't heard it in a long time. hehe like the way u end it with CCR. :)

Beq said...

Thanks Harman.

Devalina said...

oh very nice post. i have a list of songs then... perhaps playing them ritualistically (or backward?) will have some effect on the weather?

Beq said...

Maybe :) or maybe you'll hear "Turn me on dead man"

Sue said...

I haven't listened to CCR in ages what with my cassette player giving up the ghost some time last year. :(

Beq said...

Sue: Nor had I for many a year, until on Sujoy's LP recently. In a way, I've heard enough CCR for one lifetime :) If I can play them perfectly in my head, why bother?

Sue said...

"Where did the blue sky go o o o!"

Playing in my head since morning.

Beq said...

I know, I thought about including it, so it gets an honourable mention :)

Toy Chat said...

How about "tip tip barsa paani"? :D

Purple Lilac said...

Nice collection. How about the old cliches? Rhythm of the falling rain? or Purple Rain [Prince] or Raindrops keep falling on my head? whadayathunk?

Beq said...

Devil May Care- Of course, those are always there, along with many others I can think of..."Why does it always rain on me?" for one...as I said, its a very subjective list :)
Toy Chat- Tip tip barsa pani indeed!

Rohan said...

Man, you like the blues! There aren't too many like you in Calcutta that I know of.
Somehow it's Joy Division's Decades which is inextricably stuck in my mind as the rainiest song I've heard.

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Rainy Day or Any day : Great indoor Activities

Actress Images said...

I like this site. So beautiful blog.