Saturday, September 05, 2009

Consumer Guilt







And so, the new Beatles albums are coming.

You know, those fabulous new Stereo mixes and the old Mono transfers of the original albums on spanking new CDs. As we all know, nobody buys CDs nowadays; nor do I, except the odd old Sonic Youth CD I might find in a bargain bin in some shop, but I know I HAVE to buy these babies.

For the last few years- at least since 2006 when Love came out- I haven’t been buying Beatles albums anymore. When I heard Love, instead of gawking at the mash-ups of Beatlemusic, I just marveled at the sound. It was eye-poppingly rich, full, and juicy, like none of their music I’d ever heard outside the odd Dr. Ebbetts mixes.


That’s when I heard reports that the entire Beatles catalogue will be out soon in spanking new sound. It would really be like hearing a brand new band.

So no new Beatles CD buys in three years. That’s fine. But now, here it comes- the stealth attack on 09.09.09...

...hiding behind the deranged The Beatles: Rockband (which is a trip, but vastly less essential) game; the real deal!

Ok, so, come Wednesday, this is what things’ll look like.

Each single Stereo album- $18.98.

Each Stereo double album- White Album, for example, $24.95.

Which means that even at a conservative estimate, the Indian versions will be about Rs 800 and Rs 1200 repectively. The Stereo Box- Set is $259.98, easily Rs 10,000; and the Mono mix Box-Set (of the albums as they originally appeared in the 60’s on LP) is $298.98, about Rs 12,000. So, I’ll end up spending some 22,000 grand soon if I’m not careful.

Seized by instant anxiety so unbearable that I started tugging at the ends of my moustache, I immediately called my friend Neo the collector. He’s no ordinary mortal, he. He has a massive library of music, much of them in various formats, mixes, and fidelity. He’s the one I got my Dr. Ebbetts stuff from. He’d been grumbling about the forthcoming releases a few days ago. So I thought he’d be the ideal person to soothe my anxiety.

He picks up the phone, grave. No doubt he’s working, today being the production day of the magazine he works at. He says that if I pre-order the individual Stereo CDs on places like Amazon, then I might get them for as low as $12. Evidently he’s done that already, but I could hear the resignation in his voice when he started talking of the Mono albums. Apparently, those box sets are being made in Japan and only a limited number of them will be available initially, and even if the Mono Box-Set made its way here as a part of the multi-pronged release they’d be shit expensive anyway. And the Mono albums (which are only available in the box format, have already sold out online. As have the Stereo boxes.

His unhappiness was so deep, I forgot my own anxiety in a jiffy. I tried telling him that Beatle-music is such a surefire seller, even in these digital-download, slumping CD-sales times they’d be available in all their formats in every big music market. After all, the Capitol Box-Sets of the bands’ American edition albums are available here...


as is the Rs 3,000 Help DVD box extravaganza (an obscene, packaging tour de force)

as well as the Hip-O Select Motown singles collections.

Nothing sells like nostalgia, especially when the music’s also great.

Hearing this lessened Neo’s pain somewhat. He quickly hung up to go work. We were both somewhat soothed, and I’d come to grips with my impending financial doom.

And now I sit here fantasising. I can’t afford to myself, but should I ask my folks to gift me at least the Stereo White Album for Pujo?

Sigh. Careful what you love. It will swindle you.

IndiBlogger - The Indian Blogger Community

2 comments:

Devalina said...

TODAY'S THE DAY!!!

Beq said...

It is its!! Have to check out some shops today